Features and benefits
- Combines four sources of magnesium that are more readily absorbed and available to the body than magnesium from some other sources (such as magnesium oxide): magnesium glycinate, magnesium citrate, magnesium aspartate and magnesium amino acid chelate1.2
- Maintains normal muscle contraction, relaxation and neuromuscular function
- Helps restore body electrolyte balance, particularly magnesium depletion caused by sweating
- Supports physical stamina and exercise performance
- Supports normal cellular energy production
- Supports healthy bones
- Supports healthy sugar metabolism
- Relieves symptoms of premenstrual tension, including irritability, mood changes and breast pain
When dietary intake of magnesium is inadequate, Oriental Botanicals Magnesium Excel also:
- Reduces muscle cramps, tired muscles and mild spasms
- Reduces restlessness
- Supports healthy sleeping patterns
- Supports heart health
- Maintains physical performance
How it works
Magnesium is involved in hundreds of biochemical reactions in the human body. These processes include supporting muscle function, cardiovascular health, sugar metabolism, and energy production.
Despite its importance, the Australian Bureau of Statistics (ABS) Australian health survey found that one in three people in Australia aged over 2 years did not meet their requirements for magnesium in 2011-2012.3
Why magnesium glycinate?
Magnesium glycinate is a form of magnesium with high absorption and availability within the body. It’s also very stable, and is delivered intact to the intestines for easy absorption.
Magnesium glycinate is more readily absorbed than some other forms of magnesium such as magnesium oxide, as are magnesium citrate, magnesium aspartate and magnesium amino acid chelate.1,2
Magnesium and muscle health
Magnesium plays a vital role in calcium metabolism, which aids healthy muscle contraction and relaxation. Low magnesium levels can cause symptoms such as muscle cramps, mild spasms, tired muscles and restlessness, and taking a supplement helps relieve these symptoms when dietary magnesium consumption is inadequate.
Physical activity and magnesium
The right balance of electrolytes is critical to the normal function of muscles, organs and cells. Magnesium plays an essential role in maintaining electrolyte balance, particularly after exercise, which causes magnesium to be lost via the sweat.
Magnesium also supports physical endurance and stamina when dietary intake of magnesium is inadequate.
Magnesium and healthy bones
Magnesium is essential for maintaining healthy bones, and more than half of all the magnesium in the body is found in the skeleton.4
Cardiovascular system health and magnesium
The body needs sufficient magnesium to maintain cardiovascular system health. Magnesium also helps normal sugar metabolism.
Magnesium relieves symptoms of premenstrual tension (PMT)
Women who experience PMT have been shown to have lower levels of magnesium in their blood serum than women who don’t get PMT.5
In those women who are affected, magnesium relieves symptoms of premenstrual tension, including mood swings, irritability, and breast tenderness.
1. Walker, A.F. et al. Magnes Res, 2003;16(3):183-191.
2. Firoz, M. & Graber, M. Magnes Res, 2001;14(4):257-262.
3. ABS. Australian health survey: usual nutrient intakes 2011-12. Commonwealth of Australia, 2015.
4. Rude R. Magnesium disorders. In: Kokko J, Tannen R (eds) Fluids and electrolytes. Philadelphia, PA: W.B. Saunders Company, 1996, pp. 421-445.
5. Facchinetti, F et al. Obstet Gynecol 1991 Aug;78(2):177-181.
Always read the label. Follow the directions for use. If symptoms persist, talk to your health professional. Vitamins and minerals can only be of assistance if dietary intake is inadequate.